Having a boss is probably not the ideal way you imagined your life when you were a kid. Working for someone is not always easy and you will constantly have that idea of “what if?”. What if you started your own business? What if you worked for yourself? Could you do it?
Sure you could! The only thing that’s stopping you is you. Any sort of argument related to money and time is just an excuse. All you need is an idea. The following steps are about those of you who have an idea but simply haven’t started their path to success yet.
Step 1 – Fill a Need
Lots of people start a business because they love doing something. But creating just another online t-shirt shop will be a hard task these days if you don’t have lots of money to spend on adverts.
The smart move will be to find out a niche that is not filled with competition yet, it’s desired and people want more variety in it. This is essential for your future business.
Step 2 – Create Your Website
Your website is the tool that creates the connection between your clients and the sale. It’s an important part of your future business. Having a good looking and well optimized website is a must. Just keep it simple and don’t overdo it. You have about 5 seconds to grab the attention of a visitor, so you don’t want to waste them in unnecessary visuals. Think about how many times you have closed someone’s website because it just didn’t look right to you. Here is a list with some tips about your website:
- Use a plain background. White is a safe bet, but you can experiment with some other colors too. You might choose a simple pattern or a shade of gray. Try not to use big colorful backgrounds that take the attention of your main target – your products.
- Create a simple navigation that is the same on every page. You don’t want your clients to get lost and rage quit your website
- Use pictures, audio and video media for enhancing your products. Any pictures that you might add just because they seem pretty to you don’t have a place on a website.
- Collect emails. Email marketing is one of the best ways to connect with your customers and offer them your products. It’s highly targeted to people you know are interested in what you are selling. To get those emails you can offer a discount or a free book. Anything that can be downloaded and would be of some sort of value to your customers could work.
- Make buying a product as effortless as it could be. Any pages that overcomplicate the process need to be removed. Have a guest buy payment process that will simplify it all.
- Make the website user friendly and easy on the eyes. Don’t put too much elements on it or the clients won’t know where to look.
Step 3 – Don’t Just Launch Your Website
Assuming that your website is spotless, modern, mobile friendly and conversion oriented, you can’t simply launch it without anybody noticing. There is a well established with time process that will give you points on how it should be done.
- Have a business name that is catchy and easy to remember. Sometimes a clever word game works but it varies. Also a cool logo will be of a great use.
- Find out that problem people have and you can solve.
- Establish that you are the one that can solve it.
- Include testimonials of already satisfied clients.
- Talk about your product/service on social media, forums etc. about how it can help people and how they will benefit from it.
- Make a compelling offer.
- Give a guarantee that will assure your customers that you are legit.
- Create an urgency. This can be done with an offer that will expire soon for example.
- Ask for the sale.
Step 4 – Invest in A PPC Campaign
Investing some money in a paid campaign can prove very beneficial for you. You can experiment with the keywords and have an idea what works and what doesn’t. This way you will know which keywords prove most useful for you and optimize your website for them. This will improve your organic ranking too.
Step 5 – Be Useful to Other Web Owners
Content is king. Creating some useful articles, videos or infographics can help you a lot to establish a strong connection with other website owners and your customers. If you can’t do it yourself you might start thinking for a copywriter to help you with that. It is very important to have some quality text on your website and to create articles and media that can help you get more popular and well known.
- Distribute your content to relevant website owners for free. Just include a link to your site on every piece content to yours. Google loves good links.
- Include share links so people can easily show your content to their friends.
- Become an expert on your website topix. This way people will connect your name with trust and be loyal to you.
Step 6 – Win Your Customers for Life
One of the most important aspects of managing an online business is getting your customers to buy from you again and again. Closing the first deal is the most difficult thing to do so if you have reached this point you need to put just a little more effort in keeping those customers loyal.
You can offer your customers coupons or products that compliment their original purchase or offer related products on the Thank You page. Reward your customers’ loyalty and they will become even more loyal.
Step 7 – Email Marketing
Ok, you have started, gained some speed and now you have some customers. You also have that subscription form we talked about. Now it’s time to put it in good use. Here are some benefits of sending emails to your customers.